Friday 24 June 2016

Friday muse


À few months ago, I saw a quote on tv. It read; "Happiness is a fake, the gods employ it as a mask, each time they want to plunge us into grief" Femi Osofisan

I smiled instinctively, as those words struck a chord, deep within my soul. I'm presently going through one of those loveydovey tranquil moments in my marriage, You know one of those times when you''re deliriously happy, looking forward eagerly to dearest hb coming home .The serenity of just being in the #right place, with the ONE and the world#, And it feels like life could only get better.

Yes that! I was feeling that way, But as I bask in the moment, I recall one of the many lessons I learnt very early in this institution called Marriage; young as I was in it.

Lesson No 1: Those moments will come again. I mean the flip side of the 'happy' times, When you begin to feel like yours must be the most tempestuous life. Ironically, these feelings aren't caused by the same things all the time, so it's not something you magically wish away.

All I do at times like that is to constantly say to myself: THIS TOO WILL PASS.
So just as Mr. Femi Osofisan pointed out in the quote; those moments called happiness...especially the 'very deliriously , roller coaster, fun and laughter filled, exciting moments; I'm wary of them.
Because in between those moments; whenever I pause to reflect..
I'm like 'hmmmm...are you sure something isn't going to steal this away from me.


I often wonder if it's paranoia.
But, come to think of it, One thing Is certain in life : Challenges.
They are a part of our every day living, no matter how much we wish or pray them away.
We find them in our family life, careers, neighbourhood, marriages, business es and even in our religious lives we encounter different degree of challenges. Some are a walk over, others give way with a little push, while others are like mountains; towering over us...taking away our peace of mind, threatening to swallow us up.
And just as suddenly as it came, the storm passes and peace returns.

We heave a sigh of relief, say a prayer of thanks and throw ourselves back into the routine of daily living . We actually become stronger.

So i'll say this at the risk of sounding paranoid, I share Mr. Femis' line of thought.
But I deal with life this way: I pray. It's not so easy to pray when you are tossed about by life circumstances; But I try to.

I pray for JOY, The joy that is unchanged and untainted by the circumstances of life. The kind that keeps you calm even in the storm. Because I know, and you should know this too: Our lives are ordered by a higher power than ourselves; our names are written in the palm of the One who has the last say and He cannot, will never leave US to chance.
Our response may not be immediate, it may not be automatic...but We get the strength , the will power we never knew we possessed, to keep pushing until we get back to our 'happy' place again.

No comments:

Post a Comment